The National Library of Jamaica: User's Charter
The mission of the National Library is to collect, preserve, document and facilitate access to the nation's cultural heritage, through the promotion, coordination and development of a network of technologically enhanced libraries and services.
The National Library is Jamaica's premier library for fostering and promoting the nation's knowledge of its history, heritage and information sources.
Standards of Services
The National Library of Jamaica is committed to meeting the needs of its clients in a professional, polite and equitable manner and within reasonable time. Our clients should expect the following standards of service:
- When answering the telephone: our telephone operators will state the library’s name in a professional manner
- Operators will ensure that the employee called, answers before releasing a call. If no one answers, the call will be sent to the next available officer or the client advised to call again
- Telephone will be answered within five (5) rings and clients will not be put on hold for more than thirty (30) seconds, after that they will be offered the choice of continuing to hold or calling again
- Callers will be told the name and position of the employee to whom their call is being routed
- Clients will be asked their names and if they wish, this information will be passed on to the officer
- Clients making inquiries over the telephone will not be forwarded to more than two (2) persons
Visitors to the Library
Visitors will be acknowledged and the relevant department advised within five (5) minutes of arrival. All visitors' questions will be answered courteously.
- Persons with appointments will be seen within ten (10) minutes of arrival.
- Persons visiting the library without appointments will be allowed to see an officer as soon as is possible or an appointment scheduled
- Letters/facsimile and emails will be acknowledged within five (5) working days.
- Users will be advised of action taken on information requested and possible timetable for resolution.
- Replies will be done within fifteen (15) working days if the subject matter requires in-depth attention.
- Requests for maps, manuscripts and prints must be made in advance.
- Requests for material from the audio-visual collection must be made in writing.
- Requests for microfilm prints may not be delivered on the same day requested. We will seek to satisfy requests for duplication of microfilms within ten (10) working days.
- Printed material requested from the Main Reading Room will be fetched within twenty (20) minutes
- Reaction of users to performance will be conducted periodically through survey and/or a Question/Answer Bulletin Board.
- Users’ responses will be solicited using questionnaires.
- Suggestion boxes will be placed at strategic points.
- Leaflets/brochures with information on the library’s operations/policies/rules will be available in the reading rooms.
- Clients will be informed of policy/price adjustments in advance.
When providing accounting services, we will:
- Make payments within fifteen (15) working days of receipt of goods, invoices and bills submitted by suppliers/providers (provided all relevant documentation is in place).
- Advise of reason if there is delay and we are not able to pay within the fifteen (15) working days stipulated.
Role of Users
Your cooperation goes a far way in the receipt of good quality service and we ask that you to:
- Use pencils only in the reading rooms
- Do not mark, tear or cut documents
- Provide accurate information
- Handle material with utmost care
- Turn off cell phones in the reading rooms
- Donate materials to be added to the National Collection
- Wear appropriate attire
- Be polite
- Leave bags with guard
- Do not take food or drink in the reading rooms
If not satisfied:
- speak directly with person serving you or
- speak with the Head of Department or
- speak with the Executive Director
- If still not satisfied, complain to
Standards Monitoring Unit
Office of the Prime Minister
2a Devon Road
Tel: (876) 929-1423
Further redress, complain to the
78 Harbour Street , Kingston
Tel: (867) 922-7089
Monday – Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m
Monday – Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.